Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Kindness Experience

The Assignment
Spend at least one whole day going out of your way to consciously treat other people as well as you possibly can. Assume that everyone has a reason for the things they do, even if they’re rude to you or cut you off in traffic or whatever – assume they’re having a bad day or that someone broke up with them or that they’re late for work. Approach everyone as if you expect to be treated well in return, no matter how silly you feel being so happy and nice. Go out of your way to smile at strangers on the elevator, hold doors for other people, let people out in front of you in traffic, greet cashiers in stores with genuine warmth, and just all around be as courteous, kind, and polite as you possibly can, in spite of how anyone treats you.

This is word for word the paper that I'm suppose to write for my psychology class! I'd love for you to join me in this experiment and let me know what happened!

2 comments:

Benielle said...

When did you do it and what happened!?

TheSchmierneys said...

I did this a few weeks ago and discoverd I'm a big fat phony! :) Actually I realised how I'm "nice" on autopilot and really trying to be genuienly nice to EVERYONE is exhausting! Especially being nice to my family!