Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just being nice!

The Winter Blah's..... if you've ever lived in the Midwest, in particular Ohio, you know ALL about the Winter Blah's..... you go weeks at a time without sunlight.... the cold.... the dreary gray sky...even the snow turns gray. We were in full on Winter Blah mode for the last few weeks. It was everywhere and Everyone had them. Then suddenly last Tuesday there was a break in the clouds and out came the most glorious ray of sun shine. It was heavenly and the snow started to melt people started to smile.
I think it's no coincidence that last Tuesday a wonderful lady I've come to know at Alex's school did something so nice for the students and teachers at Westgate. She too had noticed the winter blah's had hit and so she went and bought 40 bright yellow smiley face balloons and had us take them around to every classroom. The kids loved it, the teacher's loved it, and how can you not have a smile on your face when your walking around this an obscene number of Giant yellow balloons!
I came home from that and put the following on my Face book status
"I love it when someone surprises me by being completely nice for no other reason that to BE NICE.... what a refreshing way to start the day! "

It sparked quite a few comments, and brought back a great memory from my little brother about my step-mom
Always think of nice things you can do for other people without asking
I hadn't realized that this too was something I'd inherited from my step-mom, but I love to do little things for people and surprise them. I use to joke that I don't do it for the other person, I do it for me. I love how it makes me feel. To drop off a loaf of banana bread, to bring up the recycling containers for a neighbor, too surprise a little friend of the kids with a little treat.... It's an awesome feeling. And I try to do it at home too, like leaving a little love note on the mirror for Theo to find, tucking a joke in Alex's lunch box, making the frosting PINK for Leah or bringing home a Lighting McQueen cup for Ethan. I love seeing their face, or hearing them chuckle... it just makes ME so HAPPY that I'm making someone else happy! Most of the time it doesn't cost me a thing, and it's not usually something i plan out... I just love it when the opportunity presents itself that I can make someone Else's day a little nicer....you just have to remember to looks for those chances.
So for the first time in Blog history... I'm giving you all an assignment.... you have to do 5 nice things today for your family/friends or complete strangers. They don't have to be HUGE... they don't have to cost... just surprise someone and make them smile... and report back to me... I can't wait to hear the stories!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I haven't finished the assignment yet, but I just had to say that I love this post, and the way you do little random acts of kindness for people is one of my favorite things about you! I'd better go and do my homework. :) Thanks! :)