Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A life too short

Today was a beautiful day, The weather was gorgeous, I spent the day washing the teachers cars at Alex's school for Teacher Appreciation week. We washed 28 cars today and I was feeling worn out... but with that satisfied job well done king of feeling. I got the kids ready for bed and then came down to check my e-mail and facebook and discovered some very sad news.

My friend Michelle had lost her battle with ALS she was only 32 years old.

Michelle was also the sister of MY sister in law Traci. Our families were close and even though I haven't been close friends with Michelle, she was the kind of person that just meeting her, you liked her. I've loved and adored her family for years. Michelle and Traci's mom, Boo, sat next to my Step Mom's bed every afternoon for months while she was sick. They are the kind of people you are referring to when the saying "they are GOOD people"

I want to try and honor her memory, but I'm not sure how... She was such a sweet genuine person, she had a smile that would light up her whole face, and the cutest laugh! She was lucky enough to marry her high school sweet heart and they were blessed with two adorable kids Avery and Norah.

Awhile back my brother was able to do an article about her and her struggle with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, and when he asked her what was the hardest part of what she was going through and even though I can't remember her exact words, it was something to the effect " That when my daughter falls or gets hurt or is heart broken she doesn't even reach up to me to have me pick her up because she knows I cant pick her up... "

I think of how many times during the day my kids do that exact thing... they come to me with their arms reaching up to me and I am cringing now to think of how many times I'm annoyed by this. Michelle would love to have been able to do this simple task and she couldn't. So maybe that is the one way I can honor her..... and her life... to happily pick up my kids every time they ask, and even sometimes when they don't!

I am so thankful to have known Michelle and my heart feels so heavy to think of her husband Justin who lost the love of his life today, her kids who just didn't get enough time with her,.... Her mother that lost her baby girl, her sisters that lost their best friend,... I just can't imagine their pain... their loss.... I'm saying a prayer for them all and hope you will too!

1 comment:

DaMomma said...

How sad! I'm so sorry for your loss!