Friday, July 12, 2013

Broken road

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
hoping I would find true love along the broken road.
But I got lost a time a or two. 
wiped my brow and kept pushing through 
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you 

I have always loved this Song. It's called the broken Road by Rascal Flats. The first time I remember hearing it the song brought tears to my eyes. Alex was just a baby, and the awesomeness of caring for another human being was catching up with me. Things were hard and I'd been struggling with school, work, money, friends.... everything and this song made me stop and think.... it's all worth it... all the "stuff" that I've been through and I am going through is worth it.... it's all going to be worth it. I have Alex. 



Every long lost dream led me to where you are

                                                     Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true



That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you


I spent the better part of my late teens and early twenties a drift.... no real plan or purpose. I switched from job to job, followed a boyfriend across the country because he had a plan & I didn't.... It seemed like all my friends, and my siblings, knew exactly what they wanted and how to get it.  They got degrees, jobs, engaged, took vacations... and I was just floating where ever the breeze took me. Don't get me wrong, I had fun too! Having no real responsibilities, no real plans can be liberating at times. Staying up late, going out dancing, meeting new people, learning new cities, buying that outfit just cause it makes your butt look good!!! . there are days that I long for that carefree life...
There are days that if I have to wash ONE more load of laundry, make one more peanut butter and Nutella, hear the kids argue one more time about who's turn it is, get one more bill....I think I am going to explode..... I want to go back to AZ and float down the Salt river in an inner tube. I want to dance down at Navy Pier to an old Jazz band, to be free..... to be a drift.....


I think about the years I spent just passing through.
 I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you. 
But you just smile and take my hand you've been there you understand. 
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true...

But then I remember.... oh how AWFUL it was to not know what to do with myself. The nights I'd cry myself to sleep because I had no idea who I was or what I wanted,  the boys I'd try hopelessly to find myself in, and I realize that all of THAT led me to now. I have three kids that are smart, funny, healthy and they love me & trust me completely. I have a husband... who is funny, and smart, hard working, honest, and who knows me better than anyone in the world and still wants me to be his. I'm finally getting my degree doing something that I was always meant to do.... I have friends, true, honest, reliable, hilarious friends... I found my northern star..... the path was always leading to this... I just didn't know it....


Pointing me on my way into your loving arms,
 this much I know is true. 
That god blessed the broken road that led me straight to you 

1 comment:

Tara said...

I have always loved that song, too - I love catching little glimpses into your life on your blog! Thanks for posting! :) I miss laughing and crafting with you!!