Thursday, March 3, 2011

Super Mom

I need to vent

On Monday I sent Leah to school in a skirt and fleece jacket. It was suppose to rain all day and so I thought they wouldn't be going out for recess. The storm front came through, and the temperature dropped from about 57degrees to the high 30’s , but didn’t rain. When I picked Leah up at the end of the day her Teacher said very nicely, "Leah was a little cold at recess today" to which I responded "OMG Leah honey I'm so sorry I didn’t think you'd be going out! Were you just freezing?" (I felt horrible and scooped her up in my arms).

Later that night Alex tells me Oh MRS. “so and so” wanted me to tell you to watch the weather channel and dress Leah more appropriately for the weather.

I was a little annoyed but let it go.


Then yesterday another Mom came up and said “I heard Leah was a little cold on Monday” And I said “Oh yeah it was terrible I felt so bad”….. and then I thought WAIT how did she hear about this. Apparently all the “hens” were clucking about how UNDERDRESSED Leah was Monday. It was quite the scandal.

But here’s the thing, I’m at the G.D. school ALL the time. I spend HOURS, and I mean atleast 3+HOURS, every week doing stuff for the kids and the teachers of that stinking school and get paid a big fat ZERO dollars for my service. I don’t prance around that school like I’m better than all the other mom’s, nor do my kids. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve rolled in there with sweats and a t-shirt. I talk to everyone and I am really friendly. I’ve never boasted about being the PTA president, infact when I usually talk about it I say I’m “involved” with the PTA not that I’m the one running the show, so It’s not like I need to be knocked off my high horse. But still these people cackle about the fact that I sent my child to school in a skirt and fleece jacket ONE stinking day!!! And it wasn’t just Mom’s talking; it was the teachers and staff making a big to do about it!
I tried to just laugh it off, joked that my super Mom persona has one weakness, my kryptonite is THE WEATHER…

But it’s really bugging me! I don’t need people singing my praises, that’s not why I do it!!! But when they bad mouth me….honestly it HURTS!!! So what do I do? Do I say something? Do I just vent to all my friends? Should I rent a billboard with PTA money and put my face on it saying “YES I sent my kid to school underdressed on Monday 2/28/2011 Children services has been notified! “

I’d have them write it in crayon of course!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Blech -- what is it about people that we feel like someone elses' failure/bad day can make us feel better about ourselves? Then to have the gossip chain all fired up about it just makes it 100 times worse. I'd say the billboard is your only option (j/k - when that kind of stuff happens to me, I cry to Joseph, who tells me to quite freaking out about it, I feel all sad and bruised for a week or so, then life goes on. I have no idea what the best way to handle situations like that is - my default of non-confrontation seems to be alright, but I'm not sure that it's solving anything....) Rest assured, my friend, that you are still super mom in my book (kryptonite or none)