Friday, July 11, 2008

Hot time summer in the city, back of my neck feeling...

Theo & I took Alex to NYC for 3 days. Our original goal was to make it to the House that Babe Ruth built,(That would be Yankee Stadium for all of you NON-baseball people) before they tear it down. We got tickets to the game for Wednesday and then tried to cram in as much as we could for the 2 1/2 days that we were going to be there.... oh and we did mange to do ALOT of stuff. Think of any and all toursity things to do in the big apple and we tried to do them. Little Italy, Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, (we didnt actually go over but we did see her) China town, the Bronx for a game, FAO schwartz, Central park(Ok we walked along the outside it was getting too late to actually go in) Cab rides, subway, Grand Central station, we drove by Radio City Music Hall, and Ellens Stardust diner.



Here is a picture of Station 10 of the NY fire department.


It's right in front of ground zero. I have to say that our visit down there was probably the most emotional of our trip. We walked there from little Italy where we had dinner and the whole way we were making comments about all the people and the noise and the horns, and one of the first things I noticed when we were walking around ground zero was the LACK of noise. Except for the construction trucks, there was no-one talking, no horns, nobody trying to sell you something or someone playing a guitar. It was just quite. The "museum" for ground zero was closed by the time we got down there so we didn't get to experience that. But I'm sure it would've been hard to see and hear some of that stuff. As it was I got all choked up! A few years ago Theo got a t-shirt for fallen firefighters and one of the names listed was for a man named John P. Tierney of course that name struck a chord with me and it was surreal to find his name again up on the plaque on the fence. I know they have started construction on the freedom towers, but there wasn't much to see. But I told Alex that he'll be able to say he saw it when they first started to build it. On a much lighter note, the firefighter in this picture was GORGEOUS! I'm telling you I almost faked a heart attack just to get a little closer to him. Then I realized that Theo would probably intervene and blow the whole scam..... damn firefighters.....


Oh and this guy was a riot he was one of the guys working to build the freedom tower. He was on his lunch break and put his hat on the metal statue right next to Alex. His name was Joey (Something long and Italian) and he's from Brooklyn
He told Alex "Hey kid come ovr here 'n get in tha picture wid us

Gosh It's hard to type a NY accent.


And in honor of our arrival the FDNY decided to show off their fire boat complete with spraying all their hoses
There was no fire but pretty darn cool!



And on one of our subway rides we were treated to a NY delight, someone serenading us. I loved it. Theo made NO comment& Alex thought is was crazy... He asked why is that guy singing on the subway??

There are so many pictures and so many stories, I'm sure Alex will be more than happy to tell you his take on the trip. He was so good the whole time even during the 10 hour drive home he didnt do too bad. I think he liked having all of our attention all to himself. We left Leah & Ethan with my Mom & Ken and I think I'm going to have to give one of them my Kidneys to repay them the favor. 55 & 60 year old's should NOT be left in charge of a 1 year old and a 3 year old around the clock for more than one day! They looked exhausted and probably went to bed right after we left and are probably still asleep.

No comments: